Thursday, October 14, 2010

Help Ludwick bring the prize home!

Afriversity supports and endorses Ludwick Marishane of Headboy Industries and appeals to all Afripreneurs and friends of Afriversity to help him bring the Global Student Entrepreneurship Award to Africa.

Please read this letter from Ludwick:

"My company is working with 4 student-entrepreneurs to help them bring their innovations to market, so our primary focus is not only innovation, but also to act as a major enabler to many of South Africa’s young entrepreneurs.

We are in a situation where our cash flow has been extended to these projects, and we cannot cover the costs we foresee incurring in our goal to bring the GSEA prize to African soil. We are in this financial situation because we are vigorously trying to enable others; we now need a little enabling ourselves.

The costs for flights, accommodation, etc, are covered by Entrepreneurs’ Organization, but there are still certain miscellaneous expenses that I need to cover (like buying plug adapters for my laptop to work in the US, etc). I would like to shoot a series of short documentary videos in the next few weeks to use in the final presentation. I was notified about my being a finalist only last week, so we have no product samples (of DryBath™ -my company’s flagship product) and the lead-time for my manufacturer is 6 weeks. We will thus also require financial assistance to create a suitable sample-substitute to show off at the finals.

The total budget required should not exceed R10 000.



We are requesting donations from organisations/individuals to cover these costs and make sure we bring the award home next month (sadly I am not a charitable organisation, so the donation will not be tax-deductible). I am hoping that you will be able to donate R1000 or more to this cause. And because we know business is about giving others value in exchange for their money, we will publish a list of all the funders on our blogs. Those funders who make substantial donations will be allowed to make media requests on myself or the company for their own benefit.

 This is an opportunity to show the world that South Africa can compete effectively on the world stage (World Cup- Part 2!). But this achievement can only be achieved if those with the ability to make it happen combine their resources and do it as a team effort.



When I first found out I was a finalist, it felt surreal; it had not sunk in until the middle of this week. I now realise that I have the weight of my country (maybe even my continent) on my shoulders, and as I venture out into the world to show that South Africa’s best can beat the best from the rest of the world, I would feel even more confident knowing that I have my country with me by my side!"

More information may be found at:



http://LudwickMarishaneTheHeadboy.tumblr.com (personal blog)
Http://HeadboyIndustries.Tumblr.com (company blog)


If you are interested in sponsoring Ludwick, please contact us now: info@afriversity.org

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment